enterprise.com

cover

Goals Redesign the UX and UI of enteriprise.com. One day in March 2015 I decided to organize a weekend in Milan for me and my friend Giovanni. We needed a rental car for our trip and someone recommended to use Enterprise.com. For obvious reasons we ended up using a different rental provider. Below is my process of how I redesign enterprise.com. to be a website that efficiently allows user to rent a vehicle and enjoy their journey.

My Role I re-designed the IA of the product, the search experience workflows and the visual design. End to end the project took 2 days.

My Role I re-designed the IA of the product, the search experience workflows and the visual design. End to end the project took 2 days.

The Challenges The IA didn’t have a clear hierarchy. Many different entry points for the same task confused users. The visual clutter increased cognitive load for users . Redundant information and a poor use of white space and typography caused dissatisfaction among users. Also the search experience to find and rent a vehicle was not intuitive and contained too many clicks.

The Outcome I improved the information architecture by reducing the number of entry points for the same task and I streamlined the interaction flows. I reduced the visual clutter on the home page so that users could easily locate their information of interest. I designed a more intuitive search experience by reducing the number of forms and drop-down menus. I used larger text, buttons and UI controls to have more intuitive affordances.  I used a full-screen background image to create more white space for the UI elements. I gave more importance to the primary navigation by increasing the space between the tabs and overall I used a bigger and sans serif font to increase the legibility of the page.

enterprise_entire

Original User Interface Analysis The visual clutter of the original UI had a high cognitive load for the user. There are many different entry points for the same task, causing the user’s eye to drift the page in search of specific information. There was redundant information and a poor use of white space and typography. The search experience to find and rent a vehicle, one of the primary tasks performed on the website, was not streamlined and had too many steps.

Costumers Insights Four users that were familiar with online booking reported:  
- Significant trouble navigating the site.  
- Reserving a car was very difficult. 
- Looking for available vehicles and their prices took a long time. 
- Too many entry points and redundant information.

New Informational Architecture & User Flows I redesigned the entire structure of the site considering the user data collected during the interviews and the key points from my analysis of the original interface. 

enterprise_IA
© 2009 - 2017, Valeria Donati. For all inquires: valeria@corricorri.net